Category: CLABSI Reduction
Central Line-Associated Bloodstream Infections (CLABSIs), which are “Never Events,” cost hospitals significantly more than the reported $56,000 per incident.1 Because of CMS’ current reimbursement policy, CLABSIs can ultimately cost hospitals several millions of dollars.
One simple measure–the adoption of a robust midline program–can reduce central line days (CLDs) and CLABSIs, saving hospitals enormous expense. However, not all midlines can yield such important, cost-saving results. In order to affect real change and reduce central lines, facilities need to implement an evidence-based midline policy founded on published data showing low complications (especially, low infection rates) and high completion of therapy. When implementing a midline program, it is important to partner with a company that is truly interested in helping your facility reduce central lines days and CLABSIs, and that is also willing to engage in risk sharing agreements that guarantees your facility will meet targeted goals.
There is only one midline catheter proven to reduce both central line days and CLABSIs. A ground-breaking 2015 study in Infectious Disease and Clinical Practice proved the use of the POWERWAND midline decreased the total number of central line days in a ventilator ICU by 37% and reduced CLABSIs by 100% over a 12-month study period.2 These results were driven by the POWERWAND’s unparalleled performance, highlighted by its high flow rate, blood drawability, and kink resistance. With the POWERWAND, physicians recognized they had dependable access, meaning they did not need to leave high-risk central lines in place as a safeguard. Again, this reduced CLABSIs to zero.
Not all midlines are equal, as illustrated by the data in figure 1. After using a competitive midline for ten months, across five ICUs in a large teaching hospital, the facility was still utilizing 787 CLDs per month, resulting in 15 CLABSIs over the 10-month period and a CLD utilization ratio (UR) of 0.45. After switching to the POWERWAND, they reduced their CLDs by 30%, CLABSIs were reduced by 27% – resulting in a savings of $224,0001 — and their CLDUR dropped by 28%. Generating and sustaining these results through the use of the POWERWAND may qualify the hospital for full reimbursement and potential bonuses. The competitive midline, again, offered no such benefit. There were no bloodstream infections associated with POWERWAND midline during the data collection period. POWERWAND has over 20,000 catheters days of published scientific data without a single catheter-related bloodstream infection (CRBSI).
Figure 1 – Data collected over two 10-month periods confirms POWERWAND offers significantly superior clinical outcomes and cost savings benefits.
Patient safety plays a major role in Value-Based Purchasing. As a result, healthcare facilities need to demonstrate they have taken all necessary steps to increase the safety of their patients. The POWERWAND Midline Program provides the hospital with a proven process that educates the staff and instills best practices throughout the facility. This process helps reduce patient risk through the elimination of unnecessary central lines. The POWERWAND provides the healthcare facility a true alternative to central lines, thereby eliminating the associated CVC risks, as well as repetitive needlesticks required by standard peripheral IV catheters (PIVs). Patient satisfaction and safety scores rise when POWERWAND midlines are introduced.
Again, implementation of the POWERWAND’s robust midline program translates into improved reporting data:
- The insertion of unnecessary, high-risk central lines is eliminated
- Removal of central lines occurs sooner — when central access is no longer indicated
- Fewer infections
- Ultimately, this lowers SIR, which is measured by CMS
POWERWAND Central Line Day Reduction Guarantee and Cost Savings
POWERWAND has more clinical support data than any other catheter on the market. Because of the low total complications and high completion of therapy, POWERWAND allows hospitals to implement a midline program that will reduce central line days, increase staff adherence to midline policies and procedures, and increase patient satisfaction – guaranteed.
Benefits of implementing the POWERWAND Midline Program and CLD Reduction Guarantee:
- Hard cost savings can be as great as $1003 per procedure compared to central lines
- Up to $56,0001 in clinical savings by the reduction of just one CLABSI
- Guaranteed reduction in central line days (risk sharing)
- Improved standardized infection ratio (SIR)
- Improved reimbursement through CMS Value Based Purchasing
- Improved patient satisfaction scores
1. Zimlichman E, Henderson D, Tamir O, Franz C, Song P, Yamin CK, et al. Health care-associated infections: a meta-analysis of costs and financial impact on the US health care system. JAMA Intern Med 2013;173:2039-46.
2. Pathak R, Patel A, Enuh H et al. The Incidence of Central Line–Associated Bacteremia After the Introduction of Midline Catheters in a Ventilator Unit Population. Infect Dis Clin Prac 2015;23(3): 131-134.
3. Caparas JV, Hu JP. Safe administration of vancomycin through a novel midline catheter: a randomized, prospective clinical trial. J Vasc Access. 2014;15(4):251-256.